Duck Season is over….now what? Travis, Nathan, and Emily share their to-do lists, the next hunting season they’re excited about, and remember that whole fishing thing? We should do that, too…
Here’s the Slow Cooker Chicken with Wine Sauce recipe Emily mentions:
2 Tbsp. olive oil
½ cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
½ cup carrots, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces (approx. 2 medium carrots)
3 cups thinly sliced red onion (approx. 1½ large)
4 cloves garlic, sliced
¼ cup brandy (optional)
3 lbs. raw chicken breast and thighs, boneless, skinless
1 cup Burgundy wine
1½ cups low-sodium organic chicken broth
8 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1 tsp. dried thyme)
¼ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 smoked ham hock (optional)
2 Tbsp. cornstarch (preferably GMO-free) + 2 Tbsp. water (combine to make a slurry)
1. Heat oil in large skillet over high heat for 1 to 2 minutes, or until first wisp of smoke rises.
2. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until edges begin to brown.
3. Push mushrooms to sides of pan, lower heat to medium. Add carrots, onion, and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
4. Deglaze pan with brandy (if desired); cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until pan is almost dry. Add contents of pan to 5-quart slow cooker.
5. Add chicken, wine, broth, thyme, salt, pepper, and ham hock (if desired) to slow cooker; cover. Cook on low for 6 hours.
6. Remove ham hock and thyme sprigs. Add cornstarch slurry; increase temperature to high, cook for 20 to 30 minutes, or until thickened.
Want to experience a world class duck hunt or fishing charter?
E-mail Travis to book today . . .
Connect with the gang on social media: